The Maidenhead Town Club was formed in 1942 from the nucleus of the old Maidenhead and Taplow Bowling Club where the Green was originally behind the Dumb Bell Public House in Taplow. (Many of the original trophies are still played for today). Despite the ongoing Second World War, the Club was reformed at the Municipal Bowling Green in Oaken Grove Park on 13th July 1942, with a friendly match against Burnham.
The Official opening took place on 13th August 1942. The newly formed Maidenhead Town Bowling club was opened at Oaken Grove by the Mayor Mr H.H. Neve, Mr Campbell Dyke, President of the EBA and President of Berkshire, plus other officers from Berkshire were in attendance.
You can see our past presidents by clicking here to display the Presidents Gallery.
The Club has grown from strength to strength and the Pavilion has been replaced four times and has had two big extensions over the years. Current membership (2019) numbers 70 Men and 40 Ladies who compete in all the county and national competitions as can be seen from the club honours board.
Joining the Berkshire County Association in the year we were reformed we have been enthusiastic supporters of the County Association and the EBA ever since.
The Club has supplied one EBA president – Roy Thomas JP; five County Presidents: A J Hooper, R H Thomas JP, John Marshall, Grant Oxtoby and Stewart Wright as well as two County Match Secretaries and the current County Secretary (2019).